Writing a good tour description is the key to increasing your site’s visibility and driving more traffic. With the right tour description, you could get 50-100 visitors per day using the best tour operator plugin for your travel website
The purpose of this guide is to help you write a high-quality touring description and increase in page views, page views, clicks, and traffic to your tours section on your website.
You may find it useful: How to create a travel booking site with WordPress for free
Table of contents
- Introduction to tour description:
- Steps to Write a Proper Tour Description:
WordPress Tour descriptions should be written in an engaging and personable style.
This can be achieved by exploring the interests of your country, businesses, and tourist areas — and presenting that information through photos or video.
Tour descriptions are a way to sell your next tour. You can use them to describe the experience, culture, and activities you’ll be doing during your tours.
Tour descriptions should give as much information as possible to allow potential customers to make a decision on whether they want to take your tour or not.
In this guide, we will outline the steps you will need to follow in order to write a great tour description for your website and help drive more traffic there.
Introduction to tour description:
Tour descriptions are an essential marketing tool for every tour operator. It’s where you tell the world about your tour and what it offers.
It serves as a sales brochure, explaining to the public what their ticket buys them and how they can expect it.
A tour description is a document that describes a tour or activity and its purpose.
It’s meant to help potential participants understand what they’re signing up for, and why they should be interested in it.
The main use of tour descriptions in a Tour Booking System WordPress is to guide and give proper information to the clients.
A good tour description can help you stand out from your competitors and make you more appealing to your clients.
You may find it useful: Why should you use WP Travel Plugin for your Travel Website in 2023?
Steps to Write a Proper Tour Description:
A tour description is the selling point for your website.
Of course, it does no good to just have a tour description. In order to provide information on what your tours are like, you need to first think about how you’re going to write them.
Here are the steps for writing a proper tour description.
A great title is crucial for any tour description. It’s the first thing people see and remember, so it needs to be captivating and interesting.
The title of your tour description is its headline. It’s the first thing that people see and it should be enticing enough to get them to click on the link.
The title should be short, sweet, and compelling. Here are some tips on how to write a good title:
- Use emoticons and other imagery to make your title stand out
- Use strong verbs in your title
- A keyword phrase that is relevant to your product/service.
- The title should be short, sweet, and compelling.
- Make sure the title is about your tour
- Don’t use too many words in your title
2. Trip Facts/Overview:
In a few sentences, describe the trip in general. This is the first impression of your trip, so make sure that you capture it well.
In this section, briefly describe how you will be using the trip (i.e., what your goals are for the tour).
You can think of the trip description as a mini-tour itinerary, listing everything you’ll be doing on the trip, including where and when, who will be involved, and what the experience is.
Here are some tips on how to write an effective tour description:
- Start with a summary of your trip. This should include your destination, what activities you plan on doing while there, who will be involved (if any), and any special circumstances that might affect your trip.
- Focus on what you’ll be doing in each activity category (e.g., hiking, biking, sightseeing). The more specific you get here, the more useful this section will be for prospective guests who are interested in booking your tour or reserving a spot on one of your trips.
- Include all the important details about each activity category — dates/times/durations; places visited; prices per person/per day or per group; typical activities offered; minimum age requirements; required gear list; weather and other conditions at each stop; safety tips for certain activities like biking or white-water rafting; etc.
- If you’re planning a multi-day tour, provide a brief description of each day’s activities so potential travelers know what they can expect from their experience on the trip (and how much free time they’ll have along the way).
- If there are any special events or benefits associated with booking through your company, mention those here as well. For example: “Offering free trips to new destinations for first-time travelers.”
3. Start with a hook:
The first thing you need to do is come up with an awesome hook.
A hook is the first sentence or paragraph of your description that grabs the reader’s attention and makes them want to read more.
In this case, it should be something that captures their attention and makes them want to read more.
The best way to do this is by using action words like “wanted” and “hated” or even just simply saying “loved”. These will make them want to know what happens next, so you need a good start.
You want to start with a hook — something that makes people interested in your tour.
If you’re in Kathmandu, for example, and you want people to come on your tour and see the Kathmandu Durbar Square, then maybe your hook would be “See the Kathmandu Durbar Square on this private guided tour.”
Or maybe it’s “See the Kathmandu Durbar Square from this helicopter ride.”
Whatever it is, make sure it’s something that will get people excited about your tour.
4. Bulleted List of Additional Details:
Bullet points are the best way to present information in a concise manner, as they’re easy to scan and understand at a glance.
You can use bullet points for highlighting key points, adding extra detail about your experience, and/or listing multiple aspects of your tour experience.
You can breakdown the subheadings of the tour in the following ways:
- Highlights of the Trip
- Extra Services
- Inclusions (Meals, Transportation)
- Exclusions (Alcoholic Beverages, Souvenirs, Personal Expenses)
- What to Pack/Carry?
- Gears for the Tour
- How to Reach the Pickup Location
- Cancellation Policy
5. Define your target customers:
Your target customers are the people who will benefit from your tour. They are the audience you want to connect with.
This step is essential to successful writing. If you do not know who you are writing for, how can you know what it will take to make them happy?
Targeting your audience enables you to give them a reason to join your tour, and in turn, helps you keep them engaged and interested in what they read.
6. List your unique selling points (USPs):
USPs are the things that set you apart from other tour operators and attractions.
They’re what will make your tour stand out from the crowd.
They are what potential clients will want to see, hear and do when they book with you. USPs should be listed at the top of your tour description so that potential clients can see them first.
7. Identify your target audience:
The first step to writing an impactful tour description is to identify your target audience.
This could be a group of people, an industry, or even a particular region. Once you know who you are writing for, the next step is to write their story.
The story should include details about their lives and how they feel about traveling and experiencing new things.
For example, if you are writing a tour description for a Manang tour, then you would want to focus on the following aspects:
- Highlights of the Trip
- Itineraries of the Trip
- Gears Required
8. Get inspired by other examples:
When you’re writing your tour description, it can be helpful to look at some of the tours that have inspired you and see how they are formatted.
You can find these tours by searching for “tour descriptions” in Google, or by visiting sites different sites of your competitors.
Notice how each tour description has a short summary of what the tour is about, followed by the details of the experience.
If they are not already used in your city, consider looking up similar tours on other sites to get an idea of how they are formatted.
In this article, we have discussed the importance of Tour descriptions and the main elements that you should consider when writing your tour description for your WordPress travel site.
Having an attractive tour description is one of the best ways to attract traffic to your site and increase your page views, and page impressions, as well as Clicks and traffic to your tours section.
To sum up, Tour descriptions should be written in a style that your site visitors could find familiar, relatable, and engaging.
Follow the tips listed above, and you should be well on your way to writing high-quality touring descriptions. Good luck!
Get WP Travel Pro and start creating your travel and tour booking website within minutes without any hassle of coding.
Yam Bahadur Chhetri is a content writer and vivid contributor to the WordPress community and a WordPress enthusiast with an experience of 7+ years in the relative field. He also loves to develop WordPress Themes, Plugins, and custom WordPress development for clients.